Why is my credit card pre-authorised? Have I been charged twice?
In order to offer a smooth payment process, we need to make a pre-authorisation/reservation on your card, to verify that the card is working and that sufficient funds are available to cover the payment.
How does it work?
- Before the charging session, we reserve 1 EUR on your card (or a similar amount in any of the selected currencies for payment: 1 CHF, 1 GBP, 8 DKK, 10 NOK, 10 SEK, 5 PLN, 350 HUF, 25 CZK).
- After you successfully charged your car and the total amount of your charging session is known, we will reserve the difference of the final amount and the reservation amount on your card (for example: final amount is 10 EUR - reservations on your card are 1 EUR + 9 EUR)
- Over night, IONITY will complete the billing process, which initiates the final booking on your bank card (for example: final amount of 10 EUR will be shown as a separate item on your card statement)
- Invoice issued and sent to the email address provided
- The cancellation of the reservations (1 EUR and 9 EUR) can take up to four weeks. This is linked to your bank's processes.
Have I been double-charged?
Please note, the reservations and the final booking may appear on your card statement as separate line items, however, they have not been booked twice. They are only marked as reservations and final booking, whereby the reservations will be cancelled and the final booking will be charged to your card.
If you tried to initiate multiple charging sessions, you may see multiple reservations of 1 EUR on your card statement.